Conflicted about getting a cosmetic procedure done? As we age, it’s really common for women to secretly fantasize about getting some work done. Mirrors quickly become a tool for seeing not what we do look like but what we could look like: pushing up those chin wattles, pulling back the skin at our temples, stretching the area around the mouth to un-pucker drawstring wrinkles around the lips. I know a lot of people who don’t bite the proverbial bullet because they’re too embarrassed to fight Mother Nature. They’re afraid it’s just unnatural. If you think about it, there are lots of ways we “fight Mother Nature.” She’s not always kind to us, and we don’t have to roll over onto our backs and take it. Here’s a little quiz to find out just how much you’ll accept what she offers you:
- A blizzard blows in. Do you (a) run under a tree or (b) get in your house or throw on your winter gear.
- You’re born nearsighted. Do you (a) read only things that you can hold close to your face or (b) get some contact lenses or glasses?
- A summer drought is killing your lawn. Do you (a) wring your hands or (b) get out your sprinkler and let it quench the grass?
- You have a uni-brow. Do you (a) marry Diego Rivera or (b) get it waxed?
- Hailstones damage the siding of your house. Do you (a) start billing your home as the polka-dotted place or (b) get the siding replace?
Looking your best isn’t about vanity
It’s about empowerment.